jlsjlsjls

JLS' Books

Cataloguer. A profession for which the ideal qualification is to know everything in the universe. I'm working on it ...

When the Girls Came Out to Play: The Birth of American Sportswear
Patricia Campbell Warner
The Middle Class: A History
Lawrence James
Latvian Dreams, Knitting from Weaving Charts
Lizbeth Upitis, Joyce Williams
HTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
Bruce Hyslop, Elizabeth Castro
Teach Yourself Visually HTML5 (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
Mike Wooldridge
The Thorne Smith Reader : Nine Novels
Thorne Smith
Practical Cataloging: AACR2, RDA and MARC21
Anne Welsh, Sue Batley
The RDA Primer: A Guide For The Occasional Cataloger
Amy Hart
Viking Knits and Ancient Ornaments: Interlace Patterns from Around the World in Modern Knitwear
Anders Rydell, Elsebeth Lavold
The Principles of Knitting
June Hemmons Hiatt

Fresh (to me) blood ...

Sheena and Other Gothic Tales - Brian M. Stableford

I only recently discovered Brian Stableford via his six-volume Daedalus Mission series and was impressed enough by that to want to read more of his work. Now, after reading "Sheena and Other Gothic Tales) I continue to be impressed; Stableford can obviously do a first-rate storytelling job in any genre. Every tale in this book is a different flavour of gothic and all of them are delicious.

Especially refreshing are the three vampire tales, just because they are not tied together but are three separate and unique takes on the notion of vampirism. Any author who can come up with one new variation on the vampire thing (and write it well) is a gem; Stableford has come up with three new variations and written them exceedingly well ... and makes gems look like cheap glass by comparison.

His "Vampires of Atlantis" novel is now moved to the top of my to-read list ... from the title and certain things in the blurb I suspect it's connected to the third vampire story in this anthology but I'm not going to assume or expect that as I read; I'm totally open to a fourth vampire variation if that's how it goes because I know it's going to be great either way.

After that I need to read everything else Stableford has ever written ... I bet even his grocery lists are enthralling.