jlsjlsjls

JLS' Books

Cataloguer. A profession for which the ideal qualification is to know everything in the universe. I'm working on it ...

The Ghost: The Secret Life of CIA Spymaster James Jesus Angleton
Jefferson Morley
Galaxy's Edge, Issue 32, May 2018
Galaxy's Edge, Issue 31, March 2018
Mike Resnick
Galaxy’s Edge Magazine: Issue 30, January 2018 (Galaxy's Edge magazine)
Mike Resnick
Galaxy’s Edge Magazine: Issue 29, November 2017 (Galaxy's Edge)
When the Girls Came Out to Play: The Birth of American Sportswear
Patricia Campbell Warner
Whispering Nickel Idols
Glen Cook
The Middle Class: A History
Lawrence James
Latvian Dreams, Knitting from Weaving Charts
Lizbeth Upitis, Joyce Williams
HTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
Bruce Hyslop, Elizabeth Castro
The Oracle Year : A Novel - Charles Soule

Most fiction about the gift/curse of prophecy focus on how/why the individual can do this, what the prophecies are, and whether or not it's possible to change the future if you know it in advance. While those themes are in "The Oracle Year", most of it doesn't matter. What pulled me into this novel and kept me interested was how different individuals and groups of people reacted to the existence of the Oracle. Greed, desperation, joy, power, love, hatred, fear, curiosity, faith, trust, mistrust, and other emotions and motivations abound as everybody perceives the possibilities differently.

At the end a lot of questions are still unanswered for both the characters and the reader, just like in real life. And I didn't need those answers. Because what matters in this book is what people do, not what they know.

P.S. I read this because I've liked Soule's storytelling in comic books, so was certainly willing to give his first novel a try. I'm now looking forward to reading his second and beyond.