jlsjlsjls

JLS' Books

Cataloguer. A profession for which the ideal qualification is to know everything in the universe. I'm working on it ...

The Pathways Tree Books 1-3 Boxset : The Fairy's Tale, The Academy, The Princess and the Orrery
F. D. Lee
Paladin's Grace
T. Kingfisher
Meat Cute : The Hedgehog Incident
Gail Carriger
Cassandra Darke
Posy Simmonds
Shoreland : Socks Suited For Scrabbling Over Rocks, Splashing Through Tide Pools, Staring At The Sea Or Whatever Else Tickles Your Fancy
Hunter Hammersen
Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie
Knight Terrors
Benjamin Percy, Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell
The Oracle Year : A Novel - Charles Soule

Most fiction about the gift/curse of prophecy focus on how/why the individual can do this, what the prophecies are, and whether or not it's possible to change the future if you know it in advance. While those themes are in "The Oracle Year", most of it doesn't matter. What pulled me into this novel and kept me interested was how different individuals and groups of people reacted to the existence of the Oracle. Greed, desperation, joy, power, love, hatred, fear, curiosity, faith, trust, mistrust, and other emotions and motivations abound as everybody perceives the possibilities differently.

At the end a lot of questions are still unanswered for both the characters and the reader, just like in real life. And I didn't need those answers. Because what matters in this book is what people do, not what they know.

P.S. I read this because I've liked Soule's storytelling in comic books, so was certainly willing to give his first novel a try. I'm now looking forward to reading his second and beyond.